Friday, August 24, 2012

Headed fast as we can for the unknown

This is exactly what I needed, and it is only the beginning. I could not be more happy to be a part of the T-bird nation. SUU is seriously the perfect place for me. I have met some people that I really feel like I could create lasting friendships with.

Our motivational speaker talked about how we need to forget about first impressions and stop judging people by what we first see. Everybody does it. He asked us all to close our eyes and raise our hand if we are prejudice. It was really tough for me to admit that I was. That is exactly what I DON'T want to be, but I am. Then he asked the people who were raising their hands to stand up. Even though I wanted to trust this large crowd to have their eyes closed, it was still really hard for me to do. When we open our eyes, next to no one was standing up.

I was really inspired by this, and decided that I need to take this new experience of college and change. Forget about how I have thought of people in the past. I am going to make friends that I never would have made before. I am going to forget about opinions that I might have of people and just get to know who they really are.

At all these kick-off workshops and things, something keeps coming up. Everyone keeps saying how this is a chance for us to turn our life around. To break free from who we might have been and become who we are going to be. I have procrastinated in the past, but that doesn't make me a procrastinator. I have cheated before, but that doesn't mean I am a cheater. The things I have done in the past do not create make me a bad person. Yes, my decisions have had an impact on my life. The have created the person that I am today, but they have not put me into a stereotype. I am Jessica Jensen. I am myself. And I am STILL creating myself. That is the magnificent part. Someone that I met yesterday or today  or tomorrow could become a big part of my life.

There are so many people out there that we don't even know exist. We are on the earth with millions of people, and we probably will never meet most of them. So why not try to find the good in the people that we do have the opportunity to meet? We don't we become friends with those people. We can change their lives as much as they can change ours.

I'm going to, step by step, become who I am going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment