Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why I Listen.

Music is a large part of my life. There are so many things that I love about it. Recently, there are a few specifics that make me listen to the song over and over. I'm not a mainstream person, unless they are really good. So; here we go.
Simplicity: some times what makes a song is that it isn't trying too hard. Just say what you have to say, you don't need a metaphor every two seconds. (there are exceptions) this goes for the music itself as well. What ever happened to instruments? now everyone just does everything on the computer with all this synthetic stuff. now, if you put some of that in your music, I am not apposed. but if that's all you have, I am not interested.
Originality: Just because everyone else is doing it does not mean it is good. Stick to your style, if it's not "fashionable" it probably will be at some time, and you will have started it :]. I love hearing something new, if its lyrics, music, or even a concept that I have never heard before, I am more than likely to be interested.
Variety: short and sweet: do all your songs sound the same?
Meanings: It is icing on the cake when two people interpret the song in different ways. about what I said before, The Killers use metaphors all the time, and they are still my favorite band. Why? because they know how. they are not just trying too hard like, "the night was darker than my cup of coffee", its more like their whole song itself is a metaphor. Hence, the different meanings (nudge nudge). and, not all their songs are like that (VARIETY).

little specifics I love:
banjos and tambourines.
new bands that play folk-style music.
a good angry song of any genre (i have heard some good indie angry songs).
when I can understand what they are saying. :]

there you have it.

4 comments:

  1. I strongly approve of this blog. Your first three posts are MAGNIFICENT. I LOVE every song that is on your playlist. Imma steal The Bravery and put it on my blog... :)
    (Me and my band just covered it like an hour ago. I'm so happy :D )

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are fantastic. i want to hear your band play, super bad. and, thank you. I quite love your blog as well. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we're doing the talent show. :D

    ReplyDelete