Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My love for Shakespeare.

we had a discussion in musical theatre today and it sent my thoughts running all over.
today, I saw yet another performance of Shakespeare's Macbeth (the fifth production I've seen)
I love Macbeth
I love Shakespeare.
Before you pre-judge me, I used to think I did not like it either.
To the haters: give it a chance. Why? Because I promise you: that man changed the world, and you will change your mind. I think that people just say that they hate it because everyone else says that they hate it. It's not that you hate it, it isn't even that you don't understand it. It is that you are not giving it a chance. I thought I hated it. The first Shakespeare book I read was A Midsummer Nights Dream. Not the best one to start with, due to the confusion, so I automatically put Shakespeare in my brain as confusing and boring. This is all together not true. I am ashamed for ever thinking that about this amazing man and his works. They truly have change not just language, but the world.
There is something else that stuck out to me. How much better it is when it is performed on stage. It is the missing piece that no one gives a chance. If you try to read one of Shakespeare's works and can't get into it, GO SEE A PRODUCTION OF IT. I'm telling you, this will solve the majority of your issues with it. And then I highly suggest going back to the book and reading it and connecting it with what you saw in the performance. People tell me that is a lot of work, but honestly, you will want to.

I just read macbeth about 3 months ago, and I am really considering reading it again. because I loved that production so much, and learned a ton that I had not realized before. truly amazing.

there is my shakespeare tangent. try it out guys :]

2 comments: